Nine Destination Imagination teams of RSD elementary students received top honors at the Regional Destination Imagination Tournament and will be moving on to compete at the state tournament on March 25.
Teams competed in one of 7 different challenges, from the arts to technical challenges, and spent months creating a solution to the challenge. Students also completed instant challenges, where they think quickly on their feet.
The regional tournament held at Richland High School had 75 local area teams competing, 16 of which were from the Richland School District.
- Jason Lee Elementary “Puzzled Crickets” – 2nd place
- William Wiley Elementary “Traveling Turtles” – 3rd place
- Lewis & Clark Elementary “Axolotl Aviators” – 1st place
- Orchard Elementary “Magic Sci-Owls” – 2nd place
Fine Arts Challenge:
- Lewis & Clark Elementary “Artistic Aquatics” – 1st place
- William Wiley Elementary “The Totally Tubular Turtles” – 2nd place
- Jefferson Elementary “The Alien Beavers” – 2nd Place
- Badger Mountain Elementary “Serious Seven” – 1st place
- Tapteal Elementary “The Llamas” – 3rd place
Specialty Awards were given to Jason Lee Elementary “Puzzled Crickets” and Orchard Elementary “Magic Sci-Owls” for the Spirit of DI Awards for outstanding spirit, teamwork, volunteerism and/or sportsmanship; Lewis & Clark Elementary “Artistic Aquatics” for the Renaissance Award for outstanding design, engineering, execution and performance; and Clara from Tapteal Elementary “The Alien Beavers” received Da Vinci Award for outstanding creativity.
We also want to recognize the hard-work and innovation of RSD teams that competed at the regional tournament: Jefferson Elementary “Radioactive Pineapples,” Jason Lee Elementary “Hamster Kittens,” Sacajawea Elementary “Ruling Emperors,” and Orchard Elementary “Owl Engineers of the Air.” The following teams participated in the Rising Stars challenge, which is non-competitive for early learning Destination Imagination students: Jason Lee Elementary “The Adventurers,” Badger Mountain Elementary “Indominus Rex,” and Desert Sky Elementary “Unicorns.”
Destination Imagination is a national program that emphasizes critical thinking, creativity and collaborative problem-solving. Learn more at www.wa-di.org.